26 October 2017
Created by Barry Thompson © 2011-2017 Aston on Trent on Trent Local History Group, all rights reserved
Aston on Trent History – Timeline of Important Dates 1746 Robert Holden dies at the age of 70 and Mary inherits the Aston estate. A condition of Robert’s will stated that the next male heir to the estate should change his name from Shuttleworth to Holden as part of the late Robert’s   determination to avoid the Aston estate being absorbed into  the Lancashire estate of the Shuttleworth family. 1763 The open fields of Aston on Trent enclosed as part of the Act of Enclosure. This gave rise to the building of outlying farms. 1766 Act of Parliament authorised the construction of the Trent and Mersey canal which passes through the parish of Aston – completed in 1777. 1786 Construction of a new road between Aston on Trent and Weston on Trent. The new road, formerly Lawrence Lane, is the route used today, the earlier road having passed close to the front of Aston on Trent Hall and on towards Long Walk Wood. 1791 Death of Mary, who had outlived her husband James Shuttleworth by 18 years. The Aston on Trent estate passed to her son the Rev. Charles Edward Holden, Rector of Aston. He was married three times and, like his parents, had ten children. 1796 Gypsum quarried in Aston on Trent parish by Richard Brown. 1801 The population of Aston on Trent - 467. 1812 Tramway opened between the gypsum workings and the Trent and Mersey canal – closed to traffic before the First World War. 1817 Population of Aston on Trent increases to 587 consisting 292 males and 288 females occupying 133 dwellings. (There were 6 persons absent and 1 stranger). 1821 Death of the Rev. Charles Edward Holden at the age of 71. The Aston on Trent estate passes to his son Edward Anthony who is only 16 years old at the time. 1823 Subscription school opened for 50 boys.                        1829 Methodist Chapel built on The Green.