Created by Barry Thompson © 2011-2017 Aston on Trent on Trent Local History Group, all rights reserved
Aston on Trent History – Settlement and Colonisation - Part 4
The medieval and modern place names of Aston on Trent indicate clearly its physical setting and its wealth of pasture. Fleatlands, land
bordering an inlet or stream, and Cramlands, lands in the bend of a river, point to its river boundary. Many names indicate water logged land and
water meadows. Marsh flat occurring in 1535 and very tentatively identified as the lost moors of 1086. Forkadmere in the early thirteenth
century. Hipalmereholm and Ylmerholm in the mid thirteenth century combining mere and holm or water meadows. Lockholm and Galtmeer in
1750. Bradmore Pool (broad moor pool) in 1757. Cokeswall in 1228-40. Wetclose and Wetclose Flash in 1763. Thormeleisich or ditch in 1228-40.
Redeput or reed pit from 1225 to 1585, and Fluggy Leys, meadows thick with flags in 1763. There are several leys and meadows named from the
thirteenth to the eighteenth century including Foggy Leys, named for the fog or aftermath. Long grass left standing during winter, a very
valuable feed before the introduction of roots as animal fodder. Londrum pasture survived until 1750. Horfeld in the mid thirteenth century and
Cow lane in 1763 hint at the sees made of the pasture.
The village lay on slightly higher ground, a nucleated village with a village green, called le grene in 1226. Hall green in 1885 suggests that the
green perhaps lay at the south end of the village. Beyond the village lay open arable fields, which late eleventh century values suggest were on
then difficult soil. Field names such as Bloody-Land, Breakback, Hunge hill, and Thirsty Cliffs occurring in the mid eighteenth century and some
traceable back to the thirteenth century tell their own story. Longerudinck or landrydding points to original clearing from woodland, and several
names include elements based on old English forms of thorn and thornbush. Beyond the village fields the ground rose to Aston moor the remains
of which were finally enclosed in 1757.