Created by Barry Thompson © 2011-2017 Aston on Trent on Trent Local History Group, all rights reserved
Aston on Trent - A Little More History - Part 2
Further gifts to the Abbey were absorbed into Weston Manor, until at least a quarter of Aston on Trent belonged to it. After the dissolution of the
monasteries, West Manor passed to and fro between the crown and the Paget family until in 1612 it came to Anthony Roper of Eltham in Kent, by his
marriage to Mary Gerard the Paget heiress.
The Aston on Trent Hall estate was quite independent of Weston manor until 1633 its origins are medieval but its history can only be clearly traced from the
late 14th century, when it came to the Tikhill family. The last of his line Thomas of Aston, gentleman sold his lands’ in Aston on Trent to John Hunt of
Overton in Ashover, gentleman, in 1513 and the Hunts moved to Aston on Trent remaining until another John sold the estate in 1620. Anthony Roper owner
of Weston Manor and its lands bought the Aston on Trent Hall estate in 1633. After Ropers death West Manor lands including seven farms in Aston on Trent
were purchased by Nicholas Wilmot esquire in October 1647. Nicholas's cousin, Robert Holden of Shardlow, bought the Aston on Trent Hall property and a
month later the Lordship of Weston manor and those lands still belonging to it i.e. those not sold to Wilmot. Nicholas Wilmot soon sold farms to the sitting
tenants but the Holden’s were to remain lords of the manor of Weston and owners of Aston on Trent Hall for 250 years.
Almost certainly there was a large house on the Aston on Trent estate long before its first mention in 1532. In the 17th century it had fish ponds, a dovecote
(to supply pigeons to eat), a rabbit warren, a garden, two orchards and a malt mill. An inventory of 1692 shows there were twenty three rooms in Aston on
Trent Hall many of them service or store rooms - dairy, brew house, still house, cheese chamber. Although a gentlemen’s residence it was also a farm house.
Robert Holden’s grandson, another Robert, made a great deal of money in the law. He bought more land married his old child Mary to James Shuttleworth,
heir to an extensive northern estate, and built a new Hall at Aston on Trent in about 1735. Roberts’s house contains five bays and is three stories high with
central Venetian windows on both main façades. Inside is an attractive Georgian staircase and, two rooms are lined with 17th century or earlier panelling.
Robert also created a park around his fashionable house and banished farming operations to outbuildings.
He we determined his lands’ should not be absorbed into the Shuttleworth estate and left Aston on Trent to a younger son of Mary and James Shuttleworth,
Charles changed his name to Holden in order to inherit. Charles added porticoes to the Hall but made little mark on the house or estate. He allowed James
Sutton of Shardlow to build up a fair sized property in Aston, whilst he was head of the family (1791-1821). Edward Anthony Charles son, considerably
enlarged the hall with the addition of the ballroom, in 1828 he began to buy every cottage or farm which came on the market, this continued after his
death. His grandson sold his inheritance to William Dickson Winterbottom a Manchester book-cloth manufacturer. In 1898 the estate comprised about two
thirds of Aston on Trent parish and most of the village. After Winterbottom’s death in 1924 it was broken up for sale, and since then the house has been a