Aston on Trent - The Big Houses - Part 3 - No. 16 The Green, Yeoman HouseThis Grade II listed building is thought to have started life as a single storey medieval timber framed house. At the end of the seventeenth century it was rebuilt in brick and modifications made, notably the addition of a first floor. This rebuilding is attributed to Christopher Wright, a yeoman with considerable land holdings around Aston on Trent. On the street front of the building situated at high level is a date stone inscribed with the date 1690 and a “W” over “CM”.Over the years the house has undergone a number of alterations but in 1969 it was in danger of being demolished to make way for housing development. Fortunately, and partially through strong opposition from the village and the Society for the Preservation of Ancient Buildings, the County Planning Committee decided that its loss would seriously detract from the character of the village and permission to demolish was refused.In the mid 1970’s the building was sympathetically converted into office accommodation on the ground floor with living facilities above. To this day it is used for commercial purposes and remains one of Aston on Trent’s notable historic and architectural features.