Skip to content


This page presents a general overview of Education in Aston on Trent from the late eighteenth century to the present day. For more detailed accounts refer to ‘The History & Heritage of Aston’ a book published in 2007 or contact a member of the Local History Group. Copies of school logs and education reports from 1876 onwards reside with the Aston on Trent Local History Group. 

The earliest recorded school in Aston on Trent was a private boarding school in 1790, built on the rising ground between the village and neighbouring Weston on Trent. It was run by the Reverend E. Shaw for young gentlemen to learn English, Latin and other languages, maths, music and dancing. In 1823 a subscription day school opened for fifty boys together with a Sunday school for fifty boys and fifty girls. In 1830 education was conducted in a room owned by a Joseph Botham. In 1895 there was apparently a private school based at the White House. It is not certain whether these schools were private or run by the rector and churchwardens of All Saints’ parish church. 

Organised education for the masses came in 1845 with a school house built on land owned by Sir Richard Wilmot, Baronet on what is now Derby Road. The school was founded, built and paid for by the village Squire William Holden and conveyed in Trust to the rector and his churchwardens. It was originally built with a grant of £54 as a National School for around 160 children. In 1870 with the coming of the first Education Act ,Aston on Trent School opted to become part of the state system. The Holden family crest (a moorcock rising sable, winged d’Or) is carved into the stone above the front porch. 

In the 1880s fees paid by children could differ according to means, gender and domicile, varying from 1½d to 8d per week to. Children from outlying villages would usually be charged more, with the Headmaster pocketing the difference. 

In 1925 the school was again conveyed to the Rector and churchwardens by George and Laura Winterbottom who had bought the Holden estate. In 1926 the school was leased to the Local Education Authority for 25 years at a rent of five shillings a year. In 1954 the rent was increased to £90 a year. 

In 1983, the ageing school house with its antiquated facilities was closed down and education transferred to the present primary school, a couple of streets away on Long Croft. The old school lay derelict and was due for demolition but strong representation from villagers reversed the decision and it is now a private dwelling. 

Aston on Trent Primary School remains a thriving centre for education with around 210 children in attendance. Close links have been established with the Local History Group which provides practical resources and activities linked to the history curriculum. The school maintains a high quality of education and is actively supported by ASPA (Aston on Trent School Parents Association). A Pre-School group provides preliminary pastoral care and education for younger children.